Saturday, March 17, 2012

Reflection 2 for C & I 579


What attitudes, skills, and concepts have you gained from participating in the course so far?

As I was working with my group on the group projects, we all agreed that while some moments were frustrating, we really learned a lot in the end of this class.  I feel like there’s even more to learn, and I wish we had another edtech class that maybe focuses on different content areas specifically.  Of course, anyone can surf the web, watch youtube videos, and figure out different applications, but most people need a little guidance.  I’m glad that we not only learned about different technological tools, but we were made to use them.  It’s one thing to know the idea behind a website or program or tool, but it’s another thing to actually engage with it and learn it.  I think learning even some of them makes learning other ones easier.  One concept that is clear to me from class is that the technology world is ever changing and improving.  So we need to continue to learn and stay up-to-date with what is new on the scene.

·         What have you learned in the course that you will not forget tomorrow?

In order to keep updated with current changes in technology, especially educational uses, I think it’s important to stay connected to one educational learning network that we created in class.  I think some of the tools that we have gained through the class can be used as possible interventions for helping students stay organized or process content material.  Two tools that I won’t forget tomorrow are Prezi and LiveBinders.  Not only do I feel that Prezi and LiveBinders can be used with students, but I feel that adult would appreciate their benefits as well. With Prezi, I really like that you can develop a big picture with many details because it will help other to conceptualize larger ideas.  I just wish that Prezi presentations could be uploaded to Voicethread because that would be a powerhouse combo!  As I’ve learned well in this class thought, anything can change tomorrow.  Perhaps Prezi and Voicethread will come together one day, but for now I’ll use Screencatch-o-matic or Joinme!   Even though we feel like we’ve learned about some amazing tools, the educational technology world is one that will keep changing.  I think that’s a good thing, especially if our tools become better and more efficient.

·         How will you apply what you have learned to your teaching and future learning?

I was proud of myself last week because helped one of my colleagues with using twitter, and I even showed him Tweetdeck.  I explained how hashtags worked, and he was much happier with his own use of twitter.  We also talked about Prezi, so I’m going to show him how it works this week.  Also, the work of my final project with impact the work of two of my colleagues, so not only will students benefit, but I will share with them how my vision can improve our goals.  The use of LiveBinders will greatly impact our organization and execution of the Social Emotional Learning program they begun. 

Online, I’m definitely making more of the shift from online observer to contributor.  In the past, I thought who cares what I think, but I’ve realized that one budding idea can lead to an even greater one.  It can also help you from avoiding pitfalls by reading about other people’s experiences or by getting feedback from others in a similar position.  I think what initially clicked this idea for me was when a colleague was teaching me first how to use tweekdeck.  He said that he could put up a lesson idea, and by lunch time have responses from other teachers.  He felt that it helped him to be a better teacher.  Bottom line is that technology can help us all to be better in whatever role we encounter in life.

Overall, I’m proud of the work I’ve done in this class.  I also like that the other professors in our programs use different technological applications too.  Dr. Morgan and Dr. Al-Bateniah both did, and now I see that Dr. Skinner is using Edmodo for our next class.  I haven’t used Edmodo, so I’m excited to try that.  I don’t know if that’s how ISU planned out the courses or if it was all decided as a staff, but it’s really great and appreciated.  Thanks for a jammed-pack, extremely beneficial class!

No comments:

Post a Comment